- Income from contract activities has increased since 2006.
- NWO funds the largest share of contract research, about 28%.
- The share of internationally funded contract research has increased between 2008 and 2020.
Income universities, contract activities
|Other assignments||Contract education||Contract research|
Income from contract activities has increased sharply since 2006, from more than 1 billion euros in 2006 to 2 billion euros in 2019. In 2020 we will see a slight decline (to 1.9 billion euros), possibly as a result of the corona crisis. The share of contract research has increased from 82% in 2006 to 88% in 2020.
Income contract research by source of funds
|international organisations||national governments||NWO||KNAW||other not-for-profit organisations||business enterprise sector|
If we look at the funders of contract research, NWO is the largest funder. In 2020 NWO funds 479 million euros, which is approximately 28% of all contract research. The share of internationally funded contract research has increased most sharply in the period 2008-2020. As a share of all contract research, this rises from 17 to 23%.
- Practice-oriented research at universities of applied sciences
- Income of universities in the Netherlands by source of funds
- Expenditure of universities in the Netherlands by type of expenditure
- Budget Ministry of OCW for research and science
- Income and performance of Dutch universities
- Onderzoekprestaties en onderzoekinkomsten van universiteiten